One of the reasons I have found it so hard to find a gaming club or group of gamers is I was so lucky with my first club. I got into wargames early at about 9 I was taken by my Dad to the local
club on a Sunday so he could finish his game, while watching Singe
(Dads opp) let me move his Roman Aux archers and roll the dice, I guess I
was hooked from then. By the age of 10/11 I was attending the club
nights at Akrotiri Wargames Club (RAF Akrotiri Cyprus), I mostly played
SYW and colonial era all in 15mm and with club rules mainly written by
Jed. My first army was a 15mm Carthaginian WRG army which I painted
(badly with enamels), but as a few more followed (roman, Zulu, Afghan) I
got better and by my teens I was painting others figures.
My teen years where great for my gaming I had a few other lads my age all keen to game all the time, school holidays would be filled with all day colonial battles and SYW conflicts. Then the new Army Regt arrived and my world was blown apart these guys (Royal Regt of Fusilier's) had a new game called Warhammer and 25mm figures. Well soon lots of fantasy armies were winging their way to Cyprus and Dad and I had great fun painting them. My happy years of gaming had a few breaks mainly due to security threats meaning the club became off limits (due to it being a stones throw from the air field). Nearing the end of my schooling I started to find other things to do with my free time and then the Gulf war started. The club stopped as most of the members had to work pretty much 24/7. By the time things calmed down I was into my A-level and my main gaming buddy had returned to the UK his tour over, so wargames slipped down the pecking order and I grew older and wiser.
As you may have guessed I did not have much to share from the painting table tonight so though I would share a bit of my wargames history.
My teen years where great for my gaming I had a few other lads my age all keen to game all the time, school holidays would be filled with all day colonial battles and SYW conflicts. Then the new Army Regt arrived and my world was blown apart these guys (Royal Regt of Fusilier's) had a new game called Warhammer and 25mm figures. Well soon lots of fantasy armies were winging their way to Cyprus and Dad and I had great fun painting them. My happy years of gaming had a few breaks mainly due to security threats meaning the club became off limits (due to it being a stones throw from the air field). Nearing the end of my schooling I started to find other things to do with my free time and then the Gulf war started. The club stopped as most of the members had to work pretty much 24/7. By the time things calmed down I was into my A-level and my main gaming buddy had returned to the UK his tour over, so wargames slipped down the pecking order and I grew older and wiser.
As you may have guessed I did not have much to share from the painting table tonight so though I would share a bit of my wargames history.
Nice story James.
ReplyDelete