Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Painting Ronin Day 14

Been for a trip to the Dr today, I took a hockey ball to the side of the knee on the 8th Dec and its still giving me trouble, good news is no ligament damage just some very deep bruising at the base of the ligament and bone. This means no training for another 2 or 3 weeks and probably back playing in Feb. One plus from this is more painting time on the Saturdays, the negative is I have to watch carefully my food intake so I do not put on the weight I lost.
Enough real life more about painting, Dean expressed shock to see that I paint my figures already based. This is something I have done for a long time now I do this for a few reasons, first I am a lazy painter I do not like doing things twice so if I am sticking figures to something to paint them I will stick them to the base's they have to be on, second I am painting wargame's figures these are to look good on a table top so if I can not get to a bit with a thin paintbrush no one will see that bit on a table top. Below are some Celts I painted in a very short time.
if you want to see how the army turned out check out this old blog post, http://exilespainting.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/wab-gt-tomorrow-did-i-do-it.html.
But before you rush out and try this you need to know a few things, you can not be a perfectionist as there will always be some bits of the figures you can not reach. This is not a problem if you have taken the time to make sure your black undercoat is fully covering the figures. Also this is wargame's painting do not expect them to look ace up close.
I have been carrying on with my current WIP, 6 American regulars a unit of SYW french and the SYW Hussars and I have started on another cav unit 12 Scots ECW lancers



My efforts to do a water base have been partially successful, I have had to top up with the water effect and given them another 24 hours, so watch this space. I have another lot of figures to photo and send off to Curt so I am well on target to hit my average 1000 pts per month. Below are a few pictures of that last lot of figures I entered.



Wow a long post from me today, keep those brush's warm guys and I will check in with you tomorrow
Peace James



3 comments:

  1. That would drive me mad very quickly, trying to reach the figures to paint them, hats off to you James, I couldn't do it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is not a way that many people could use but for me it works and means I only have to base them once.
      Peace James

      Delete
  2. Cheers for the heads up Andrew am looking forward to seeing how they turn out wanted to give it a go for ages.
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete