I am lucky in one way that I have a well paid job that does
not tax me too much, but on the other had over the last 3 years I have gone
through 3 redundancy selections and whenever I see a letter arrive at home from
my work my heart drop thinking it will be number 4. I do not like my work, but
it gives me the funds to live my life and for that I am happy. Some days even
though I try not to the stress of work leaks into my home life, this is not
fair on my family and I have a few things I can do that are guaranteed to wipe
the stress away. The first is grab my dogs and head out to the local field
something about seeing my Scotties bounding through the long grass bouncing
like spring lambs just never fails to have me laughing out loud (I am surprised
I have not had the men in the padded white van set on me), even at home these
little scamps can bring a belly laugh out of me. The other thing sure to wash
my worry away is to sit with brush in hand and music in my ears painting
wargames figures.
![]() |
| What you laughing at Dad? |
One last point I would like to say is if you are surfing
through blogs and read a post you enjoy take the time to comment, it may only
take a few minutes of your time to comment “great post” but you may just be
giving the author the pat on the back they never knew they needed. If you are
wondering what has prompted this odd post I have had one of those days at work
and taking my break surfing through some of your latest posts has chilled me
out enough not to want to tell people what I really think.
Peace James


Cute pups there! We appreciate your posts as well.
ReplyDeleteCheers am enjoying following your learning too
DeleteLovely scamps James.
ReplyDeleteI know what it's like being under threat of redundancy, having been "at risk" twice over the past few years (and possibly again next year). Painting figures certainly is a good way to burn off stress.
Cheers does seem to be a increasingly common issue to face these days
DeleteDon't I know it people but I'll eventually start painting again, good post especially about comments.
DeletePainting is one of the most effective forms of "meditation" I know. It calms me down and focuses me on a small discrete task, which can help break the cycles of worry and anxiety that frankly, I'm innately prone to. My wife actually meditates, but I find the blankness of mind impossible to achieve. But looking through the magnifier and dabbing tiny spots of colour seems to transport me to a calmer place...
ReplyDeleteMan, I can relate to some of what you've said James. Stress became so chronic in my job that I have resigned - health professionals and family have been suggesting it for a while. So I'm now in the market for some part time work as my old job has burnt out some of my capacity.
ReplyDeleteTake care of yourself James.
Peace ;)
John
:)
ReplyDeletegreat post...honest. Few things chill me out quite like painting.
ReplyDeleteA good point well made :-)
ReplyDeleteJason.
It's easy to say it's not the stress, but how you handle it, but damned hard in practice. I'm generally pretty easy going, but when I worked the stress had become almost a way of life, much more than I realised. Even with a good family and plenty to do to keep my mind occupied, the only properly effective antidote I had was painting leads.
ReplyDeleteSo,it's not so much life, but how we cope with it.
Stick to the painting mate and let things sort themselves out.
Give thanks for what you have, don't worry about what you think you want- for what you need is always waiting to be used!
ReplyDeleteLike Andrew said remember the hobby can pay if the worst happens and the job goes take something part time and ho pro painter, you have the work ethic, the skill and you'll totally survive, I did it for 18 months and it was very liberating, trouble is now when work sucks ass I'm tempted to say "sod off, I'm going to paint soldiers!" Imagine a normal sleep pattern too!
ReplyDelete...brush in hand, music in my ears... I can feel it!
ReplyDeleteIllegitimi non carborundum. The global economy is fine now, bosses just keep these threats alive to increase productivity.
ReplyDeleteGreat looking dogs - they look very well cared for! I'm trying to talk my wife into to getting a dog - my son is lobbying for a Scotty since it's the mascot of the college he'll be attending, Carnegie-Mellon, next fall.
ReplyDeleteI paint for stress relief also and find it very effective. I'm not sure if I would want to do it for $$$ (nor if my quality is up to par). I'm very impressed you've managed to do it professionally but still retain the enjoyment - well done. Perhaps those Scotties may be involved in that transformation also
Miles
I get the same feeling from my dogs and my blog. I'm glad it works for you too.
ReplyDeleteI was forced to take ill-health retirement earlier this year after a long time twisting in the wind, so I know about dreading the letter from work...
I think it's important to find some way to be creative, whether that's with brush or with words. You seem to be good with both. Keep it up!
Perhaps I should paint more. As far as the blog goes I think you are doing a great job. I've only been following a short while but you have some great ideas and a fantastic attitude about what this hobby should be about. Here's to more painting, gaming and fun with friends. Cheers.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you completely with your stress relief - dogs and painting. My choices as well. Best, Dean
ReplyDeleteGreat sentiment and I love the pups!
ReplyDeleteI was on vacation and missed this post, James. Thank goodness for painting because work has been pretty bad for awhile. I paint almost every day for stress busting just like you. My painting room is my salvation. I cue up music or a historical podcast and once I paint, my workaday problems & worries fall away. Its either that or alcohol, so thank goodness for acrylic and lead! :-)
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work!