Sunday, 2 June 2013

Books That Inspire me to paint (part 1)

I commented on a blog post recently how several good books are sure to get me running to my painting table. I decided that I will share these books with you guys and maybe they can inspire others.
First up Lion Of Macedon by David Gemmell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_of_Macedon
As the story opens, Tamis, a sorceress, is seeing the future. She discovers that only a mixed-blood Spartan called Parmenion can help her. Parmenion is a half-blood Spartan whose mother is from Macedon. He is an accomplished runner and a strategic genius, yet he is despised by the young Spartan nobles. He is forced to kill a love rival in duel, subsequently forcing him to flee to Thebes.
There, Parmenion starts a new life as a professional runner. Thebes is under the control of Sparta, governed by a puppet-government of pro–Spartan Thebans and occupied by a Spartan garrison. Parmenion gets involved with Thebian rebels attempting to overthrow Spartan control. The revolt succeeds and the Spartans are expelled but it ultimately leads to an extended war between to the two city states, ending with Parmenion crushing the Spartan army, destroying the Spartan legend of invincibility in the process.
Some years later Parmenion is a famous mercenary general, winning battles all around Asia. He is then offered a chance to rebuild the Macedonian army of the young Philip II of Macedon. The book ends with the birth of Philip's son, Alexander the Great.

I love this book because it starts with a wargame, throughout the book are great battles. David does a great job of mixing history with fantasy and while this book/series is based in Greek history he has books which cover Romans in Britain, ECW and even his pure fantasy draws on history with Norse and Mongal like nations. I have all Davids books and read them all the time. Unfortunatly we lost David Gemmell in July 2006 and while his wife helped to finish the last book I will never have that buzz of picking up a new Gemmell and losing my self in his words.

I can say that it is bcause of this book I have several box's of plastic Greek Hoplites up stairs waiting for my attention. If you are looking for a good holiday read and maybe looking for a bit of inspiration I highly recommend you try any of David Gemmells Books

Drenai Series

  1. Legend (1984) (Originally published in the USA as Against the Horde, re-released as Legend)
  2. The King Beyond the Gate (1985)
  3. Waylander (1986)
  4. Quest for Lost Heroes (1990)
  5. Waylander II: In the Realm of the Wolf (1992)
  6. The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (1993)
  7. The Legend of Deathwalker (1996)
  8. Winter Warriors (1996)
  9. Hero in the Shadows (2000)
The Damned Series
  1. White Wolf (2003)
  2. The Swords of Night and Day (2004)

Rigante series

  1. Sword in the Storm (1999)
  2. Midnight Falcon (2000)
  3. Ravenheart (2001)
  4. Stormrider (2002)

Stones of Power / Sipstrassi tales


  1. Ghost King (1988)
  2. Last Sword of Power (1988)
Jon Shannow
  1. Wolf in Shadow (1987)
  2. The Last Guardian (1989)
  3. Bloodstone (1994)

Hawk Queen series

  1. Ironhand's Daughter (1995)
  2. The Hawk Eternal (1995)

Individual fantasy titles

Historical fiction

Troy series

  1. Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow (2005)
  2. Troy: Shield of Thunder (2006)
  3. Troy: Fall of Kings (2007)

Greek series

  1. Lion of Macedon (1990)
  2. Dark Prince (1991)

10 comments:

  1. I've not tried any of these James, but tempted to give the Gemmell books a go this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Morningstar' is a great toe in the water for anyone tempted to try out some Gemmell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've read all the Drenai and Rigante novels and really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Drenai series in my younger days. I could still imagine doing a not-Mongol horde (what were they called?) and band of heroic defenders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got to be Legend then swords of night & day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, deffo LEGEND, and swords of noght and day, interesting story behind the writing of legend, explains the hopeless "Last great act of drfiance" feel.....

      Delete
  6. I have nearly everything the man wrote on my shelves, Druss will always be a favourite character!

    ReplyDelete
  7. David Gemmell was one of my favourite authors and his passing was a sad loss. I have almost everything he wrote in my library and have read many of them several times. I'm not sure I could pick a favourite though.

    ReplyDelete