Sunday, 16 June 2013

Books That Inspire me to paint (part 3)

This book cost me money, after reading it I wanted to create the patrol in 28mm and went to company B and ordered a couple of armoured cars.
Death and Glory: The last Commando

Libya, 1942 - Rommel's Africa Korps is sweeping across the desert. Ragged Allied forces are being torn apart in brutal fire-fights on the scorched sands. A desperate message to the Prime Minister is entrusted to First Officer Madeleine Rose, WRNS. Her codename: Runefish.

When GHQ hears that Runefish's plane is lost behind enemy lines, they send for battle-hardened Sergeant Tom Caine. Caine is a first class soldier who nearly always does what he's told. He will lead a squad of specialist commandos into the heart of enemy territory and either rescue or execute Runefish. If he refuses to take this near-suicide mission he faces court martial. Now the outcome of the war depends on his following orders.

Death or glory beckon . . .
don't click I nicked the picture off Amazon :)

Michael Asher is the author, he is also a historian, deep ecologist, and notable desert explorer who has covered more than 30,000 miles on foot and camel. He spent three years living with a traditional nomadic tribe in Sudan. He was in the Para's and while studying at Leeds served in 23rd SAS Regiment.

While  my plans for WW2 gaming has gone on to the back burner I have read the book a few times since, I must have a look at some of his others one day.

4 comments:

  1. I saw this in Asda the other day for a couple of quid, sounds like I should have bought it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. def worth reading its like written commando commic

      Delete
  2. Sounds cool. Asher has written a brilliant book on the Sudan Campaigns called Khartoum - a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jacksarge was not aware of that as I am painting Sudan at the moment I will look for that

      Delete