Sunday, 9 June 2013

Books That Inspire me to paint (Part 2)

Second up in my list of books is Terry Brooks Elfstones of Shannara.
The Elfstones of Shannara is an epic fantasy[1] novel by Terry Brooks. It is the first sequel to The Sword of Shannara and the second book in The Original Shannara Trilogy. It provides the history of the Elves, which was only hinted at in the preceding story, and follows Wil Ohmsford, grandson of Shea (the hero of the first book) and inheritor of the Elfstones.
The novel intertwines two plotlines: the quest of Wil Ohmsford and Amberle Elessedil to find Safehold and create a new Ellcrys, and the attempt by the Elven army and their allies to slow the Demons to give them time to find it.

I love this book for the epic battle by the Elven army, every time I read it I want to create a human force like the Free Corp. Again this is a fantasy book but if you like your battles big, pick it up you can find it in most second hand bookstore. Available in all good book stores and probably a few crap ones too :)
I have a few historical books that inspire my painting and I will share one of those next

9 comments:

  1. I recently re-bought the trilogy, it got me into fantasy gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am sure you were not the first and will not be the last

      Delete
  2. Not sure I've read any of his, must keep a look out for some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourites and you are right about the battle scenes; great inspiration to paint. Heard some rumours last year that this may get the Game of Thrones treatment in the future, fingers crossed.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that would be a must watch for me lets keep our fingers crossed

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of it. Thanks, I will add it to my "must read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice cover art - inspiring in itself. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the old editions have great cover art, the newer ones less inpiring

      Delete