After a talk I had with Loki about our wargames blog network
I got to thinking, we are all old enough (even if you will not admit it) to
remember TV’s Swap shop. We all have huge lead piles of project we like the
idea of but never got round to doing while we were enthused, or feel we lack
the skills to complete something hobby wise.
| Part of my Lead Pile |
| Part of my Lead pile |
Well here is a far out idea why do we not help each other,
for example I am looking to get into Dux Britannia with a Saxon force but
having gone a little mad buying figures during Curts Challenge (dam you Curt
for making me paint too quick) I am on a self imposed buying ban, but I have
several redundant wargames projects and also have my skills with the brush. If
there was some one out in the blog world with a dust covered Saxon force maybe
we could get together. Another idea would be maybe you have a great skill at
researching periods and creating flags but find you are time poor when it comes
to painting so you offer to create loads of flags for a fellow blogger who
paints for you. It could even get more involved say you have a Saxon force but
need nothing painting you do though need flags creating for all you newly
painted Nap regiments so you approach the flag making blogger who cerate’s
flags for you, you send you Saxon force to the painter who paints the flag
bloggers figures.Or you may love painting but hate doing the base's by you mate loves the art of basing but find little time to paint (you get the idea), I know it would never be that simple but it gives you the
idea. In the current financial climate some of us have to tighten our belts but
still want to game and start new projects.
I guess it all come down to what you want and what you can
offer, if is an idea that has legs with my fellow bloggers I would make a
simple suggestion that people create a new page on their blog called Community
Currency and list on that page what they can offer (painting, terrain making,
figures from the lead pile) and a list of what they want (figures, terrain
made, stuff painted) we could even add pictures then other blogger can view
your page and if they see something they want they look to see if they can offer
you what you want.
This may just be a silly idea that my end of the week addled
brain has spat out but I for one think it could be a great scheme.
Peace James
A great idea.
ReplyDeleteSounds a good idea to me!
ReplyDeleteThat's sounds great!
ReplyDeleteI concur this is a good concept and I'll give it a go. There is one danger which we all need to be aware of - by publicly listing a portion of our lead-piles we may provide clues or even (shudder) reveal to our spouses the true size and nature of our miniature stashes which may have devastating consequences.
ReplyDeleteI'm in
You have a point Miles, but we can always point out that we are saving money by shifting lead piles around between gamers. Or you just Ban SWMBO from your blog :)
DeleteI like it!
ReplyDeleteI can see this working, but perversely one of my greatest pleasures is a little bit of internet shopping, thus adding to the lead pile - will this madness ever stop I ask you? ;)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a worthy and interesting endeavor. Best wishes on this. Dean
ReplyDeleteGreat idea mate! I've been considering a bit of a clean out for a while and this may well be the impetus required. A couple of suggestions....
ReplyDelete1. We should perhaps have some sort of common logo or image for our blogs to identify where things on offer live.
2. If we could work out some sort of webring style linking arrangement it would mean we could wander from one listing page to the next. Of course that could be disastrous in the repercussions ;-)
Cheers,
Millsy
Great idea, if you have the technical know how to do that go for it I will join the ring for sure
DeleteThe idea certainly has merit, though it would probably work better on a local initiative, rather than a global one due to shipping costs of parcels zinging their way back and forth round the world! Perhaps as you mentioned a blog logo picture, showing those backing the idea, could also have a small flag country identifier too?
ReplyDelete