Thursday, 25 July 2013

James is up to it again.

No I have not had any new ideas, but anyone who has been with this blog from the start or watched the Winter Painting Challenge will know I am at my most productive when I put my self under a time limit. I talked before about first posts well funny enough my first post states that I am in the middle of a self challenge to paint a Gripping beast WAB Army while my Dad was on holiday in Cyprus (the deal was I paint he was to base....I seem to be doing both now, I must check my contract) this challenge was played out mainly on the Wamp Forum and you can check out the thread here.
The next self challenge I completed was another WAB army, I had been a regular on the WAB comp circuit but had sold off my army when I ended. I saw the WAB GT as a way back in, I usually am away on holiday the week its held but that year (2011) our holiday was cancelled at the last minute so I could attend, problem being I had no army. I had the figures for a Greek hoplite army or most of a Celtic Warband and was encouraged to go with the war band as they had loads of Greek army's already attending. This left me with 28 days to paint the army, which I shared on my blog. Below are pictures of the finished army, unfortunately the army was pants and I hurt my back in the cold room used to play so I slunk off with my tail between my legs after only the first day.










So what have I done now I hear you yell....
Well again it is a WAB comp this time at Derby in Sept, myself and Mike are going to attend and while the guys at WABforum have offered to sort out an army, I want to challenge myself. This is not just a whim as Mike and I are getting into Clash of Empires (the new WAB) and Dux B and I am getting into Saga. Also my Dads regular oppo Bernard has a nice Romano British army painted by myself so I am thinking I can kill many goblins with one big Goblobba stone :)
I am going to produce a Anglo-Dane army with Viking Allies. I already have a load of Foundry Vikings to paint for my Dad which I will do so on individual bases (Saga use too) I contacted Dad and had a gentle talk about an army he can fight Bernard with (they want to play Hail Cesar) and I got him to fund a few more GB Plastic boxs which I will use to create the Anglo-Danes. I plan to do them in base's of 8 (a nice diorama'ish shield wall look) with the odd single bases for casualty removal and Saga play. All in all I am well up for this I still need to work out how many I need for the 3000pts but I will use my Dux B Saxon Nobles as the General and heros. I will tag all the posts with Derby WAB so you can follow away. So I have till the 28th September and I start by going off on Holiday for two weeks to Scotland (well I do not want it to be too easy), I still have other plans to fulfil but I will have to moth ball something to make time. I plan to put my Oldhammer Dwarfs away for now and will probably only go to the bring out your lead event on the Sunday to meet up with all those Oldhammer Bloggers.
So strap yourself in and keep all hands inside the carriage as we start the roller coaster ride to Derby.
Wish me luck
BTW Mike is trying to finish a Norman army before then too.

14 comments:

  1. Your Celtic warband rock, I love'em! I love the fellows in paint/woad most of all. I do hope they've seen the light of day since 2011!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ashamed to say the only light they see is the light through the skylights in my Dads wargames room (if they can see it in their box's). They were great fun to paint and will I am sure get an outing soon
      Peace James

      Delete
  2. Huzzah! This sounds like a great challenge. I will follow with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be interesting to follow, I think your Dad's house may be in danger of collapsing under the weight of so many figures!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do love a challenge! Fabulous to see the other altogether like that too, your output under pressure always amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing your progress!
    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job there are a lot of plastic figures cos the quote for reinforcing the attic floor was way too high. God speed with the challenge my son!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The original army may have been pants, but it looked excellent. Good luck with the new one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the self-challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go get 'em tiger, you have some lovely painted mini's there James.

    regards
    dave
    http://www.theoddfellowslounge.com/forums/forum.php

    ReplyDelete
  10. fab work James I dont know how you paint so fast As I am very slow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck from me to!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete