Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Wargaming Revolution

Now that even I am getting a bit more wargaming the Brewertons have hit a few problems. We like many other gamers like to play many periods, but we also like different styles of the same period while a great all day mass battle is great some days we like to have a few small skirmish battles. Below are a few examples of the rules set we use.
while these are both skirmish(ish) they use different unit sizes and the same figures can be used in Hail Cesar

So we have the issue of what to do, do we buy twice as many figures and have a set for skirmish and a set for battles. No what we did was take advantage of the new wargames revolution in laser cut MDF. While I agree the MDF building have been great in making our battle fields look fantastic, for me a far bigger impact has is being offered by Warbases
These guys are fantastic no job is too small and if you have an idea and it is possible they will create it for you. So what do they offer that sorts out the Brewerton's wargames needs.... movement trays
With these great pieces of kit I can have my cake and eat it, I base my figures individually and when I want mass battles I slip them into these fine movement trays. examples below. (now if you want your figures closer together ask and they can make close order trays to order)
Vikings for Saga

Vikings for Dux B and Hail C

Rangers for M&T

Same Rangers for Black Powder

All these pictures were taken because its too damn hot for painting, I did try. I managed to put some colours on a test figure for John. John was one of my winners and while Carl was 1st and sent me figures for painting, John had already asked if I could paint some Front Rank F&IW figures how could I resist as I love Front Rank and the F&IW, anyway the figure is below and if John is happy I will go with this colour scheme

.

3 comments:

  1. With the sabot basing you should really not have an issue with switching between rules. You may need to have more than one base template for each set of rules. Love Sharp Practice. Great game. I use it for AWI a good bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also switched to using these bases and for the same reasons. My figures are based on 1p's and I put a small rare earth magnet in the base (drill a 3mm hole, super glue a 3mm x 2mm magnet in it) and this really helps hold the figures in place. You can get the magnets really cheap on ebay (especially if you wait for delivery from China). Oh one final thing if you do try this, check your 1p's are magnetic before you mount them, not all are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestingly, on the Sabot bases I found the Grey Pumice mix very useful for texturing them. Much easier than trying to glue sand.

    The colour scheme for the French looks perfect for me. A huge thumbs up for that.

    Cheers, John.

    ReplyDelete