Friday, 5 July 2013

300 down, heat stops play

So guys this is my 300th post on this blog (I have 6 on the go now so have done more in total), I would love to be able to share pictures of finished painted models but here in Crewe as in most of Britain we have slipped into a summer heat wave. My painting room is so hot that painting (even at my speed) is very hard and use's a lot of paint (as it dries on the pallet) I know I could use a wet pallet but I have tried and just do not enjoy them.
What I guess you are wondering am I going to do with my 300th post, well I thought I would share what and who have been the biggest influences on my hobby life. I guess first and the biggest influence has been my Dad Paul Brewerton it was his love of chess and military models that led to him being dragged down to Akrotiri Wargames Club. It was Dad who was my first DM when I and several of my friends played Tunnels and Trolls and later Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Dad ended up as the chairman for the club and I ran the youth section. The club was the second biggest influence of my young hobby life, being on an RAF camp we had a new influx of gamers all the time and they would stay 2-3 years and leave, this club is where I started painting and where I was introduced to Warhammer. The club members all had good input in my hobby life but a few stand above the rest Singe Frost was a member when I used to beg my Dad to take me along, he had the patience to listen to a young boys non stop questions and to let me move his troops around the table, Singe was to return for another tour when I was a teenager and this time he was the top general I could never beat (I tried in several different games) it was Singe that was my First D&D DM. Singe introduced me to Battletech and several smaller games. Second at the club would have been Wyn Rogers (of Saga/ Gripping beast fame these days) Wyn produced mass's of terrain boards for the club that made our game tables stunning, he was also the first top draw painter I saw, while his style was not to my liking seeing what he could produce pushed me to build my own skills (Wyn was also my Wedding Photographer). I like many gamers drifted away from the hobby while University, work and marriage came along. I guess I must add my long suffering wife to the list of big hobby influences as she has always given me the time and space I wanted to paint and game, Liz maintains she is happy for me to wargame because to date I have not injured my self playing it (Liz has on more than one occasion helped me off a sports field with injury's to various body parts).
Even in my lean periods I could be found painting on and off. The next big influence was Games Workshop it was 12 months working for them that got me fully back into the hobby. I then have WAB to thank for feeding my addiction, when I drifted away from that it was this blog that was my driving force. Coming closer to current days my blog was one of those that drifted without many hits until last year when I joined in the Winter Painting Challenge I guess I have to site Curt as one of my biggest current influences through his challenge I have made not just followers but friends. Bringing you up to today my current influences are the Blogosphere and its many characters, I love the whole scene we are as close as I have found to my first wargames Club. Without upsetting any of you he is a list of bloggers that have influenced me in the last year.
Loki- top man who does not laugh at my bright ideas but reply's with a "great lets get it done"
Fran and Ray (the New Bromantic, no link needed really)- these two never fail to bring a smile to your face and show just what a blog can give you.
Michael- no one else has forced me to buy so many colonial figures :)
Miles- you have my wargames room and table (but I will let you keep it)
Kev&Charlie- made a shy guy feel at home very quickly at Triples
Mike- giving me the support to start down the Viking Studio route
to be honest I could go on and list all you who regularly comment but I guess I will have time at Blog-Con to say these things face to face (although being so shy I probably will not)

Peace James

22 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 300, and here is looking at the next 300

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the speed I am posting at the moment will not take long

      Delete
  2. Initially I thought at least I always have an opponent, but latterly I consider myself privileged to have 99.9% of my figures painting by such a talented painter. (another cunning plan worked)
    The 0.1% are a set of casualty makers I am actually Painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dont do your self down...

      you must have painted at least 1% lol

      Delete
  3. Congrats and well said G.I. James, you have become a shy but dynamic force in the blogosphere, well done sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot woot! Congrats on your 300th post James :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. we will see if you let me win on the 14th

    ReplyDelete
  6. 300th post there and its a cracker as a well know Irish comedian used to say. Having only just come upon your blog I look forward to reading it. So he is to another 300 and many more after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gratz on the big three oh oh posts.

    PS: I have something I would like to do that is blog inspired soon, and would like to talk it through a little first via E Mail if that is ok with you before I go ahead.

    Cheers, John.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done mate and congrats. Thoroughly enjoy your blog and loved reading about your influences. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Firstly many congratulations for the 300th post and wonderful insight it has been. Secondly a big thank you to you for the mention (even if it does link to Loki's blog!), I for one am thrilled that you have taken blogging to your heart again. You were the first to leave regular comments on my own ramblings and are therefore responsible for keeping me motivated in those early months. Quite simply you are one of the most generous and honest chaps out there and we are all benefitting as a result - so here's to many more posts, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops sorted the link thanks for you words

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! Keep up the good work. I also played Tunnels & Trolls and have fond memories of it. So many less dice and tables than D&D! =]

    ReplyDelete