So I had a bit of a disaster in that I failed to put the lid back on my AP Dip and it is now so think I could use it as brown grout. I have had a pot of B&Q varnish for a while with an idea to use instead of the AP stuff.
I took a chance and used this on the two units that were ready for dip, with mixed results. The Indian's I think look even better with this redder dip while the WW2 brits came out a bit too red/brown, not bad enough to redo them as they are only TT fodder so are good enough for that.
I have also been working on the next 3 BB Orc's getting a dab hand at the flesh on these greenskins now. Anyway take a look and let me now what you think.
I think I will pick up more varnish but darker, as the difference is so little but the price so much less.
I took a chance and used this on the two units that were ready for dip, with mixed results. The Indian's I think look even better with this redder dip while the WW2 brits came out a bit too red/brown, not bad enough to redo them as they are only TT fodder so are good enough for that.
I have also been working on the next 3 BB Orc's getting a dab hand at the flesh on these greenskins now. Anyway take a look and let me now what you think.
I think I will pick up more varnish but darker, as the difference is so little but the price so much less.
Perfect on the Indians but you're right about the Brits, I would never have thought of this product, I take it it sets like kevlar?
ReplyDeleteI don't think its bad on any of the figures, but like Fran said it does work a little better on the Indians.
ReplyDeleteLooks fine i think, and i'm guessing it works out cheaper than the AP stuff?
ReplyDeleteYes alot cheaper than AP I think if it were a bit darker it would be good for all (and a close match to AP darktone) @Fran you are correct it is very tough when dry.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a dipper myself but I would agree that the Indians look if anything better, but that the British Troops look a bit red on them.
ReplyDeleteI'm too much of a coward to varnish my figures, I'd rather fix any war gaming related damage than risk messing them up by making some error in varnishing (and knowing me I would bugger it up)
Looks fine to me James. If anyone comments about the redness on the WWII Brits, just say it is summer and they have caught the sun a little :)
ReplyDeleteI would first apply a coat of matt varnish.
ReplyDeleteLike with AP the result will probably improve dramatically, especially with the Brits.
Why not just overpaint the uniform highlights on the Tommies? That's how I do my stuff on cool tone colours when I dip and it works a treat. The indians are mostly warm tones and don't need anything I say.
ReplyDeleteI've heard this technique works best on "organic" figures, and the Natives being a mix of bare skin and natural materials like leather, I think that ides is supported here. They look amazing.
ReplyDelete