Saturday, 22 December 2012

Painting Ronin Day 3

Evening all,
                 I have had a good think about this diary and think that if I am to keep this up then it needs to be more than just "here is what I am painting" "here is what is waiting". So I will take these daily chats as a chance to share my thoughts and ideas on painting, wargames and some times just life its self. If anyone has a question on how I do some thing or what I am using just drop the question in the comments and I will answer the next post. That being said Ray asked how I found the black brush on primer on my desk, well Ray I think it is the dogs dangles, I still spray undercoat my figures but I do away with the contorting of my arm or figures to try and spray every nook and cranny, instead I bring them back into the warm and cover any missed bits with this brush primer. I have also used it as a black paint and will again (wait till you see me on the French Inf).
 Anyway back to my painting, I have sent off my first submission to Curt so watch his space. You will find that my submissions come in fits and starts as I never have one figure or group on the go, below is my current crop.
You can see the highlanders but also a light gun and a unit of Hussars from our french SYW and lastly a mounted scout from the FIW. I like to flit between all the figures so while I seem to be making little progress all of a sudden I have 3 or 4 groups/figures complete.
Been doing a little research on the Highlanders and found they would be the 42nd which is cool as I see the tartan every day.
This is my Scottish Terrier Mackie with his Black Watch Tartan collar. The highlanders will take a bit longer than the rest of the FIW figures purely due to the uniform being so much more involved. I have taken the chance while painting my unit of Hussars to do a quick SBS on my horse painting, this should be up on the blog in a few days.
Anyway I seem to have written loads and said nothing, who said this blogging was hard. Today was a good day for me finished last shift of the year at 06:00 had a few hours sleep and pretty much hit the painting table most of the rest of the time. Mr Postman brought me another box of French SYW so looks like this challenge may end up being James paints an entire French SYW army in 3 months.

Peace James



5 comments:

  1. I've never looked back since you put me onto that black primer a while back - just a brilliant invention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you find it useful, I love the stuff saves time stood in my dark cold wet garage

      Delete
  2. Aha! Thanks for the info James, I'll be getting myself some of that then. What colour are you painting the 42nd's cuffs, buff or the later blue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some cunning/ thoughtful person must have sent those figures!
    Paint in Peace

    ReplyDelete