Monday, 24 December 2012

Painting Ronin Christmas Eve

Evening all,
                Hope your day has been quiet and that you have not had to brave any shops. I have had a productive day on the brushes. I finished the Cannon and the squad of Canadians plus the Indian Scout, all have been photographed and sent off to Curt so expect them after the holidays.
I still have a full table to keep me out of mischief.
I asked you last night to think about why you paint wargames figures. I know for some it is just so you can play wargames with painted figures, but for some of us this part of the hobby can be as much fun as the games. I love painting, I have not always painted for some periods my paints have been packed away while other hobbies got in the way but always they come back out. I think what keeps me coming back is that I am good. My belief is that every one has a skill they excel in for me it is painting little lead figures. A few years ago I thought my skills might lay in the top end display figures but I soon found I lacked the patience to spend hours and hours painting just one small part on one figure. I know why these guys only paint a dozen figures in a year, but for me I love painting units and armies. More than that I find the whole thing relaxing I sit at my desk with music playing and chill out. When I started out it was a CD on my Ghetto blaster (one of only two CD's I owned) now I have over 12 hours recorded on my smart phone, but either way it is my personal form of meditation.
 Anyway enough talk let me show you my current WIP, we have the Highlanders still, the SYW Hussars and a new group of FIW civies.


I have also sorted out the SBS of my painting of horses which you can see below the figure to look at is always the one on the left of the two.
 1. Dry brush whole figure with a dark brown.
2. Paint the lower leg in dark grey.
3. Dry brush the lower leg with light grey.
4. Paint the hoof light brown.
5.The hardest bit is now to paint the horse's muscle in a dark flesh, if I am painting leaders I tend to add a light colour to the flesh and highlight the flesh. But for rank and file this is enough.
Hope some of you find that helpful.

Peace James




1 comment: