As a bit of a follow on from the post I put up about helping us to follow your blog can I suggest making your blog easier to share.
I have a valid reason for this as when I was on my summer holiday I only had my smart phone and while I could read my own blog and comments (and post if I got a good signal) I had no access to my dashboard so could not see my blogroll. I do have Google+ on my phone so any blog post my friends shared I could see and open to read. I am sure that I am not the only one to have this occur so if you want the chance for your reader to share you blog on Google plus below shows you how.
On your dash board click the layout and click on the edit button on blog posts.
in the pop up window scroll down till you find the share icons and tick the box next to it.
once saved that is all you need to do now below your posts the share icons will be displayed.
if some one shares your post on Google+ it shows up on their friends Google+ as shown below.
I have a valid reason for this as when I was on my summer holiday I only had my smart phone and while I could read my own blog and comments (and post if I got a good signal) I had no access to my dashboard so could not see my blogroll. I do have Google+ on my phone so any blog post my friends shared I could see and open to read. I am sure that I am not the only one to have this occur so if you want the chance for your reader to share you blog on Google plus below shows you how.
On your dash board click the layout and click on the edit button on blog posts.
in the pop up window scroll down till you find the share icons and tick the box next to it.
once saved that is all you need to do now below your posts the share icons will be displayed.
if some one shares your post on Google+ it shows up on their friends Google+ as shown below.




I've been avoiding Google+ like the plague a0 because I don't understand it and b0 because I'm convinced that any time Google insists it's going to make my life better/easier it's because it's to help THEM.
ReplyDeleteConvince me I need Google+ you're an honest lad . . .
;O)
Thanks for the info, I added that.
ReplyDeleteI haven't ever bothered with the social media formats like facebook, G+, twitter.. I work from home, so use the desktop computer, don't have any mobile devices, so I'd never thought about this. Though I do wonder if the template I have works and how well on a mobile device, but since I don't have one (not going to pay a lot for something I'd almost never use) I really don't know.
Well I followed your guide, did click the show share buttons, saved it, and it still doesn't seem to show up. It does have the 'email this' icon i'ts always had. maybe it doesn't give you the option to see it if you don't have the social media program signed in? -but I doubt it, that'd be far more complicated, most likely blogger is just bugged.. again.
You don't need Google +, I haven't got it but I do use the G+1 button all the time.
ReplyDelete@Gary even if you do not use social media yourself it lets readers share your blog.
ReplyDelete@ LF I am not sure if you have to have accepted the google+ option on your settings I have and find it no different from a non google+ blog
O.K. James, done the share instructions as above and they seem to have taken.
DeleteOK, i set up Google+ for me, will see if it makes a difference for ease of sharing for others or if that wasn't the hang up after all and blogger is just bugged.. maybe it doesn't like the custom template I made, I dont know
DeleteAnd no.. I added Google+, loaded it, signed out, signed back in, followed all the instructions (they are very easy) to add those sharing icons and I still don't see them show up, even though it is saved & the layout says they should be there.
DeleteGary, I've had Google+ for ages and don't use the social networking features at all. I haven't found it's affected me. I do notice that every so often some of my posts are shared though. I didn't know about the problems with smartphones, but it makes sense to make things as easy as possible for readers.
ReplyDeleteWell I'll give it a go and if it's a cock up I know who to blame . . . .
ReplyDeleteResult!
;O)
Those plus ones make a huge difference in getting my page out there. Because of it, I've got more Russian and Turkish painters reading me than I have UK painters.
ReplyDeleteI've had pages get those +1 when I check my posts page in the dashboard, so i know it can be done, but I can't make those share icons appear at the bottom of the post. I also can't make the reply to reply work, like I've done here, on my blog, even when i've set the reply up properly it just doesn't work. Blogger is buggy.
DeleteI'll try, James. I have to re-read the instructions later - too late in the night and I've had a bit of wine. Best, Dean
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip, I hadn't realised it wasn't switched on. Now sorted!
ReplyDeleteI will check later but I think I have it covered!
ReplyDeleteSuper helpful. Thank you so much. I really enjoy these sort of tutorials, as I find Google + a bit of a mystery. Widgets now enabled on my blog, James!!
ReplyDelete