I have heard from many a person how Crisis Antwerp is the Salute for Europe,
and I sort of want to check it out. So I had a look at what else would interest me around there and boy did I find the making of an interesting road trip. So UK to Dunkirk and check out all the history that is found there.
Then you can go back one World War and visit Ypres.
And you can not go the Belgium without a trip to Waterloo
And then the show in Antwerp, I think you would agree it sounds like a great road trip, and what could make it better...
Doing it with a load of Wargames Bloggers..
I am not thinking of this year as I am very busy with Blog-Con but 2014 could be a go and it would give the continent bloggers chance to meet up for their own mini Blog-con.
As you can tell it is just a idea pencilled on a bit of paper at the moment but if anyone would be interested in joining me I am more than happy to start planning things like transport and accommodation (if you have not worked out yet I love planning events)
and I sort of want to check it out. So I had a look at what else would interest me around there and boy did I find the making of an interesting road trip. So UK to Dunkirk and check out all the history that is found there.
Then you can go back one World War and visit Ypres.
And you can not go the Belgium without a trip to Waterloo
And then the show in Antwerp, I think you would agree it sounds like a great road trip, and what could make it better...
Doing it with a load of Wargames Bloggers..
I am not thinking of this year as I am very busy with Blog-Con but 2014 could be a go and it would give the continent bloggers chance to meet up for their own mini Blog-con.
As you can tell it is just a idea pencilled on a bit of paper at the moment but if anyone would be interested in joining me I am more than happy to start planning things like transport and accommodation (if you have not worked out yet I love planning events)




Sounds like a good plan, although I doubt there will be much to see in Dunkirk as the harbour has been modernized and extended continuously over the past 70 years. But when traveling to and from the UK i personally always prefer the Dunkirk - Dover connection, so you could virtually do it en route!
ReplyDeleteYou're a glutton for punishment James - always having these Good Ideas and lumbering yourself with organisation!
ReplyDeleteThe long night shifts are probably to blame...
There isn't a lot to see in Dunkirk to be honest. The famous Mole is long gone. There's been a lot of development along the seafront (understandably) with only the beach to the east that gives some impression of the area during the evacuation. Even that is dotted with later German gun emplacements (Tobruks etc.). A better option is Calais, which people normally drive straight through, even though the town was literally flattened during the war. There's a very good Pen & Sword book for the town - although you will look a bit odd (trust me) wondering round industrial docks pointing at period warehouses.
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Matt
I would recommend Brugge as an option, most medieval looking indeed. Antwerp has an immense main shopping street too, so the ideal place to buy the other half something to make up for your overspending.
ReplyDeleteIt's a good idea James. Can't commit right now but will certainly be giving it some thought.
That is a very cool idea James!
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, for us 'Northern Monkeys' travelling to Antwerp can work out roughly the same (or even cheaper) as travelling to Salute in any case. Certainly accommodation is somewhat better priced.
ReplyDeleteBlimey, don't tell a geordie you're a northerner, he'll go apeshit!
DeleteInteresting and tempting idea - color me interested!
ReplyDeleteYour insane, hahaha.
ReplyDeleteMaybe, dunno, have to check it out..
Count me in son and I will happily let you do all the planning
ReplyDeleteif it were not for that little detail they call the Atlantic ocean it would be a great road trip. Have fun and post many pictures.
ReplyDeleteYes, it sounds an exciting idea and I'm keen on it, but I couldn't commit just yet.
ReplyDeleteBe doubtful for me James.
ReplyDeleteThe uncertainty of Charlie's job and finances that may change.
I also have my health and travelling that dont go to well together.
Maybe, but probably not.
excellent idea, but if I come, it will be another route (by land), so don't worry about me. If I get there, I'll be in touch and make sure we can meet up somewhere.
ReplyDelete