Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Mid-week Boredom inspired rant


Warning what follows is a rant and ramble from a board nightshift worker, do not say I have not warned you.

So this weekend see’s Blog-Con and I am very excited and nervous about it, will it be all I hope it will be? Will anyone show up? Will I be able to come out of my shell and socialise?

These are all questions that will resolve themselves over the weekend I am sure the answers will be positive ones. But thinking about this and turning 40 has me thinking about the rest of my life, I have 20-30 years till retirement and can’t see myself in a Warehouse till then. I like to think I have a successful career but if I am honest I am just treading water I made Supervisor about 10 years ago and here I still am and with no prospect of going further at my current company. I like to say that I do not care, that my work gives me the money to do what I want in life but I am bored and it’s even worse on nights I find myself wishing the days away till the weekend and the weeks away till my holidays. Now why am I going on about this on a hobby blog well I would love to be able to create a job career in the hobby but do not see any way to do so, I dream of opening a LGS and selling pre-painted figures alongside the usual figures, rules and sundries. But I know Crewe cannot support a LGS as I have seen 3 come and go (well they were model shops but if anything model shops have a bigger appeal) I can’t see me moving anywhere else as we have a nice house and our daughter is still local plus all my family are only up the road.

This got me thinking about Hobby Stores, I am following the great blog by Peter Brown about his career in the hobby and have joked with him that I should stop reading as he has the work life I would kill for but I know of very few long lasting wargames hobby stores, I see wargames figures in model shops but usually that is because one member of staff is a gamer and has lobbied the owner. I may just not travel enough but in this era of internet shopping is there any room left for the LGS? I worked as a GW manager for a year and my store was all about gaming and fun, I set out a challenge to the locals that anyone could bring in their WFB army and take on my Dwarf army any time and when Warmaster came out I even put up a prize for the first to beat my empire army. I deep down know that if we could do this with our historical based games SAGA, M&T, Black Powder etc and attract just a few of the GW gamers a living could be made because as much as GW has its diehard fan boys there are those that would see the lower cost of historical gaming as a big pull.

But I do not see that as possible by a one man show, I think for us to grab the gamers from GW and introduce them to the historical side (I should point out I am not being down on GW I just feel that many gamer come in to our hobby with GW and pass through and out of the hobby without seeing that there is another side to the wargames hobby namely the historical games), I think it would take a wargames cooperative. Let me explain my idea, say Fred opens a store he is supported but the figure companies in that they supply him with stock (minimal levels) that he effectively only pays for when it sells, each time he sells a product at the RRP he would pay the wholesale price back to the company. Now I can see that not many companies could have this sort of stock just sitting on selves so I guess that is where this idea would fall down, but if a cooperative could be created between all the wargames companies then Fred would have time and money to invest in the eye candy of his store he would create great gaming tables and display cabinets of great looking figures, effectively Fred would act as the store from for all the companies in the cooperative. I sort of see that this is happening over at warlord games and I love the fact that they are buying up stalled micro companies and making the figures available to a wider market and in some case’s expanding the ranges, also the guys down at the Gripping Beast have done something similar. I see the way forward for our hobby is one of cooperation and not competition.

Dam how did a rant about my lack of career turn into a discussion on the way forward for our hobby. I guess it would be because I see them as linked for me, I think I will only be passionate about my job if it were one that furthered of aided my/our hobby. I would love to go into Schools and show the young minds what our hobby can offer above and beyond the actual game. Or as I said above run a LGS that spread the word that you can wargame and not sell a kidney.

Anyway for now I will keep my head down and take my monthly wage, I still feel my role may become redundant soon here but I will wait and see. Enough rambling from me I guess I can save it all for the weekend.

As the record said Blog-Con be there or be square.

 

Peace James

27 comments:

  1. I'd like to make some kind of living out of wargaming, loads of people try it and most unfortunately fail, we can but dream!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and a dream I am sure it will remain for now :)

      Delete
    2. A nice dream but shift work is a true horror story, see you Saturday!

      Delete
  2. I used to dream about opening up a game store with a friend of mine. we had so many ideas for how to make it a unique experience and interest customers. Of course, that was before the age of internet sales dominating such things, but I think some of the ideas would still be useful.. but profitable? Well there's the old joke 'Q. how do you make a million dollars in in gaming? A. Start with 2 million and open a game store.' It's a rough & risky proposition. I think there are niches & ways it could work though.

    As for the boredom, I can sympathize. Long ago I was an assistant manager at a book store, and after a year and a half I was ready to go out of my mind. One day the regional manager told me if I ever wanted my own store to let him know, he'd make it happen. The next week I told the manager I was cutting back my hours & going back to university. To be happy I need a job that requires me to be creative or use my mind, preferably both. Well, you never know what opportunities will open up if you're open to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend opened a gaming centre last December and it's still going strong. The main problem is us historical gamers! I've run Saga weekends and Musket and tomahawks all well attended but apart from a small group of impetus players can I as hell get historical gamers to come down and play, similarly because historical gamers interests and likes are so diverse carrying stock is almost impossible and most has to be done by shop order.
    However war machine, dystopian wars, xwing and even dare I say it 40k are all played every week and most weekends all the gaming tables are booked! There is no doubt if it wasn't for the non.historical side the store would have sunk without trace!
    I'm fortunate in that I've been able to retire early and help out and release my own figures but don't forget if you get your own place someone still has to clean the toilet ! Good luck this weekend would have loved to come just double booked and carry on dreaming you never know opportunity may present itself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great idea's I think a combo sore would be he only way to go.

      Delete
  4. James, a great post, especially in the early hours. I love your idea of a wargames co-operative. I don't think anyone has tried it in that sort of way before.

    How about an idea of combining a number of things - so you have a wargames, roleplaying and boardgaming shop combined with coffee shop. That sort of thing would be perfect in a town with a big college or university. Or wargaming/ boardgaming combined with comics. You have to think about something which people - mainly blokes - need regularly and which you can combine with the bobby. I did wonder about wargaming and a barber's shop...perhaps that's too crazy?

    Anyway, very much looking forward to Blog Con....see you at 10am on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looking forward to meeting he man behind the blog

      Delete
    2. You'll find out that his name isn't Sidney either!

      Delete
  5. One of the big problems for the LGS store these days is they are competing with their own supply chain. Do you know of a miniature comapny that does not sell direct and usually at a discount on the web? That is a serious conflict of interest. I personally try to buy most of my stuff through the game store if they will carry what I want or order it and sometimes the answer is no so to the web I go. I am fortunate enough to have 3 good gaming stores in my area and 2 other marginal ones. I try to buy something paint, brushes, basing materials when game at these stores because often the miniatures I want just aren't their and they can't or wont order what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I think is one of the biggest problems and one there is no answer for at the moment

      Delete
    2. Yeah I have grappled with it and I wish I had a solution. I can at least define the problem or a piece of it any way and that is a start.

      Delete
  6. I just posted a similar type of rant about mid life but mine doesn't have your typical positive idea/dream in it.

    I'm very impressed with your ability to think of things that are focused on growing community. A nice talent.

    Maybe the LGS idea never makes it off the ground, but you're sharing positive ideas that could grow into something cool.

    I know dreaming is typically for the young - I think it's healthy for us mid lifers (43) to keep it up.

    My post - http://itineranthobbyist.blogspot.com/2013/11/gaming-funk-and-long-life-ramble.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had read your post last night before I wrote mine, it struck a cord

      Delete
  7. I think that there is room for the LGS, there was a very successful one here in Denver that lasted for 18 years that was able to cater to all the elements; RPG, Historical Minis, Fantasy Minis, Board games, Card games and scenery material. In the end it was taken down by one of the partners who, literally, emptied the bank account one day. I think the key to being successful in the business though is to work with the internet instead of trying to fight it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes working with the internet is essential in all business endeavors these days.

      Delete
  8. Cheaper in the short run yes but the money you spend at the LGS keeps someone in your community employed. So does the money you spend on parking (though if my math is right that is a heck of a parking fee!) even the fuel you burn. We don't calculate that sort of thing when we weight how much something costs in the long run we are all better off if we spent more money locally. I'm not criticizing just observing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you James. Quite aside from making a living in the industry, just having work that is fulfilling is a challenge. If you've got young kids and a mortgage I reckon life is going to be hard whatever you do for a few years. You make a great blog, so I hope you can keep that going and find enough inspiration to keep on gaming - just a matter of finding work that can motivate you. That's a hard elusive thing. But good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. £5 seems quite cheap for a car park to me, then again I do live in the Home Counties ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in the USA and I was using an out dated conversion that was stuck in my head from several years ago. Now it comes $8 and change and your right that isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had this same conversation with my wife and another friend over the last few years. My wife thinks combining a gaming shop with a model shop and knitting/sewing shop would cover most bases as this would give partners something to browse while the other was looking at their respective hobby areas and gives you alternative revenue streams.


    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats a pretty good idea Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  14. O.K., first things first - it's probably wet blanket time.

    If Blogcon is a washout, it's not for want of effort. There's no reason why it should fail, but there's always a chance of some unplanned eventuality - fire, famine, flood, mad axe men etc. Should this happen, then it's not up to you, so forget it. If you're so concerned about it, you can take out insurance against failure (yes, you really can) and you can stick two fingers up as you jet off on your dream holiday or whateveer you spend the insurance money on.

    Your idea of the co-operative is actually based on common commercial practise. It's known as custody stock or consignment stock (amongst other things) and it's used in manufacturing as well as retail. Not to be confused with the franchise approach which is common in department stores (I think Debenhams & Selfridges are leaders in this) or the third party stock control where you let the supplier replenish your stock and bill you accordingly (usually limited to consumables etc.). All well and good, but I'm not sure it'd work because companies in the old wargaming field are pretty jealous of each other and I'd be surprised if they'd work together in what could be a pretty claustrophobic atmosphere, particularly if it were to set a precedent. They're all great pals at shows, but that's a different matter. Add the fact that virtually all of them trade in their own right oh and the curse (blessing) of online shopping and your dream could become a nightmare. Aside from which, do you really want someone else to have a pretty significant say in your business plan?

    Joint concern? I thought about a joint war-games shop and brothel, but decided against it. The way many gamers actually play they wouldn't know whether to dip their wick or dip their paintbrush.

    Career? If you haven't got any yet, get some professional qualifications. I never knew anybody who made it up the greasy pole without them. Further career advice available on request.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sadly, I think that Adam has it right - no supplier is going to send valuable stock on sale or return when they could be selling it themselves. You need to find someone who's really good and making figures, but really bad at selling them!

    One market I've not seen tapped by the miniature manufacturers is the provision of *painted* figures. I wonder if there is any scope in collaboration on that side? Of course the product would have to be cheaper to the end-user than buying the miniature and your painting services separately - with the to-ing and fro-ing of postage, that might be tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is the problem when you open a game store you have to compete not just with other game stores and on-line retailer but with the very people you need to supply your product.

      Delete
  16. I'd say you are just one of a large group of 40-somethings, all of us thinking the same way regards our real job and our dream job, myself included mate. I can't bring myself to say it's a certain pivotal event that causes some of us to buy a sports car. I'd rather think it is the fact we've all been doing the same role for quite a while and have reached the point where we understand there is much more to life.

    Regards a career based on our hobby it is not limited to ours alone. My wife is a very talented and successful quilter, cross-stitcher, etc. and has published loads of articles in commercial mags. Can she make a decent living from it? Nope... We both wish she could but the bottom line is hobbies rely on discretionary spending and consequently the commercial opportunities are limited, especially at times of financial uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a very thought provoking piece, James. The job issue is tough. My wife loves her job but it pays crap. My job sucks but it pays well. I rely on my family, painting and gaming for happiness and to bust my workaday stress. I tell my wife that in the next life, we get to switch.

    I do hope you do find something better.

    ReplyDelete