I spent much of my first years wargaming playing 15mm Afghan wars at Akrotiri Wargames Club we had some great figures produced by Mikes Models these were not to everyone's tastes as they were very chunky. I loved them and my number one favourite unit were the Bengal Lancers. When I decided to get into the NWF in 28mm I just had to have a unit of Bengal Lancers. Luckily Wargames Foundrys range for the NWF is fantastic check them out. I took advantage of Foundry's offers in January to buy myself loads and loads of these fine NWF figures including 12 Bengal Lancers. It has taken till now for them to work their way up to the top of my painting list.
A bit of history on the Bengal Lancers:
The regiment was raised by William Hodson, one of the most famous personalities of British India. He was the son of a vicar, an old boy of Rugby School and a graduate of Cambridge University. HodsonÕs Horse was born in the Punjab during the Great Mutiny of 1857. It was formed from risalahs raised and brought in to Delhi by prominent Sirdars. Hodson was at that time, on staff duty with the Delhi Field Force. By the time Delhi had fallen the regiment was large enough to be split into three separate regiments. Unfortunately Hodson did not live long enough to see this happen as he died in battle in March 1858.
The three regiments of Hodson's Horse became two in 1860 when the third regiment was disbanded. The 1st and 2nd Regiments soon became the 9th and 10th Bengal Cavalry. The first overseas posting for the 9th was Malta, in 1878, and then the Sudan in 1885 in which year they became Lancers. The regiment then served in Chitral in 1895-7.
In 1914 the 9th were stationed at Ambala so were sent to France with the Ambala Cavalry Brigade. They stayed in Europe until February 1918 when they were posted to Palestine. They finally returned to Ambala on 1st January 1921 creating a record for length of time spent overseas, more than 6 years.
The bit most relevant to my NWF project:
The tribal attacks started in June 1897 in the Tochi Valley but after an attack on Shabkadar Fort, on 10th August, the regiment was ordered to proceed by train from Rawalpindi to Peshawar. At the same time a Troop went to Shabkadar, escorting guns. Then came the attacks on the Khyber Forts which involved the regiment in further movements but the mobilisation of the Tirah Expeditionary Force did not start until early October.
The Force was split into three columns. General Sir William Lockhart led two divisions as the main column, into Tirah while the other two, the Peshawar and Kurram columns advanced on the flanks. The 9th, commanded by Major Dawson, were part of the Peshawar column which saw less action than the other two. However, one wing of the regiment was forced to fight it's way out of a dangerous situation on the Bara River.
Capt. Brasier-Creagh was leading B and D squadrons with Lieuts. Smith and Maxwell, having been ordered to reconnoitre the road to Mamanai through the Gandao Pass. Whilst coming back along the Bara River, the Captain and D squadron were fired on from the front. Their escape route to the rear was also blocked by snipers. At first they dismounted and returned fire but it soon became clear that the only answer was to mount up and ride right through the enemy. They sustained heavy casualties, a jemadar and 5 men were killed and 4 wounded. The horses also suffered, with 18 killed and 9 wounded. Sixteen NCOs were recommended for gallantry awards and Kot Dafadar Mir Jafar Khan was given the Order of Merit.
The above information was taken from the excellent British Empire Armed Forces Website .
I was prepping the 12 Lancers today and wanted to add the pennants shown on the colour plate above so I dug out my metal sheets bought a few years ago which I use for flags (I used to use the lead from wine bottles but you really see that now as they are all screw top). I cut these to the correct size and snipped the ends to create the desired pennant shape and glued them to the lance tops. I am starting to get an itchy brush finger for these NWF figures now as I have my second favourite unit the Gurkha's to do also.
so the 12 figures are ready for me to gravel the base's along with another 12 sword armed horseman and 12 mounted Tribesman (for starters)
A bit of history on the Bengal Lancers:
The regiment was raised by William Hodson, one of the most famous personalities of British India. He was the son of a vicar, an old boy of Rugby School and a graduate of Cambridge University. HodsonÕs Horse was born in the Punjab during the Great Mutiny of 1857. It was formed from risalahs raised and brought in to Delhi by prominent Sirdars. Hodson was at that time, on staff duty with the Delhi Field Force. By the time Delhi had fallen the regiment was large enough to be split into three separate regiments. Unfortunately Hodson did not live long enough to see this happen as he died in battle in March 1858.
The three regiments of Hodson's Horse became two in 1860 when the third regiment was disbanded. The 1st and 2nd Regiments soon became the 9th and 10th Bengal Cavalry. The first overseas posting for the 9th was Malta, in 1878, and then the Sudan in 1885 in which year they became Lancers. The regiment then served in Chitral in 1895-7.
In 1914 the 9th were stationed at Ambala so were sent to France with the Ambala Cavalry Brigade. They stayed in Europe until February 1918 when they were posted to Palestine. They finally returned to Ambala on 1st January 1921 creating a record for length of time spent overseas, more than 6 years.
The bit most relevant to my NWF project:
The tribal attacks started in June 1897 in the Tochi Valley but after an attack on Shabkadar Fort, on 10th August, the regiment was ordered to proceed by train from Rawalpindi to Peshawar. At the same time a Troop went to Shabkadar, escorting guns. Then came the attacks on the Khyber Forts which involved the regiment in further movements but the mobilisation of the Tirah Expeditionary Force did not start until early October.
The Force was split into three columns. General Sir William Lockhart led two divisions as the main column, into Tirah while the other two, the Peshawar and Kurram columns advanced on the flanks. The 9th, commanded by Major Dawson, were part of the Peshawar column which saw less action than the other two. However, one wing of the regiment was forced to fight it's way out of a dangerous situation on the Bara River.
Capt. Brasier-Creagh was leading B and D squadrons with Lieuts. Smith and Maxwell, having been ordered to reconnoitre the road to Mamanai through the Gandao Pass. Whilst coming back along the Bara River, the Captain and D squadron were fired on from the front. Their escape route to the rear was also blocked by snipers. At first they dismounted and returned fire but it soon became clear that the only answer was to mount up and ride right through the enemy. They sustained heavy casualties, a jemadar and 5 men were killed and 4 wounded. The horses also suffered, with 18 killed and 9 wounded. Sixteen NCOs were recommended for gallantry awards and Kot Dafadar Mir Jafar Khan was given the Order of Merit.
The above information was taken from the excellent British Empire Armed Forces Website .
I was prepping the 12 Lancers today and wanted to add the pennants shown on the colour plate above so I dug out my metal sheets bought a few years ago which I use for flags (I used to use the lead from wine bottles but you really see that now as they are all screw top). I cut these to the correct size and snipped the ends to create the desired pennant shape and glued them to the lance tops. I am starting to get an itchy brush finger for these NWF figures now as I have my second favourite unit the Gurkha's to do also.
so the 12 figures are ready for me to gravel the base's along with another 12 sword armed horseman and 12 mounted Tribesman (for starters)

That's good metal work.....literally!
ReplyDeleteThose are some nice figures - an interesting period that always reminds me of classic movies and literature. The uniforms are interesting too - basically khakis with colorful details here and there; like turbans, etc. Best, Dean
ReplyDeleteNice figures James - I look forward to seeing them painted :)
ReplyDeleteMetal flags?? That's a lot of work!
ReplyDeleteI buy my flags in now :) that is why this metal has sat on my desk for at least two years. I does make a tough flag that you can shape as you like though.
DeleteI'm feeling my wallet twitch just looking at these!
ReplyDeletethat would be Karma for all the Sudan stuff I bought after reading your blog :)
DeleteA timely post. I was just working on some very old Ral Partha Indian cavalry. Great work on the pennants.
ReplyDeleteThese will look great, looking forward to seeing the paint applied
ReplyDeleteian
When I first started wargaming I too did Colonials but the Zulu War but I too used Mike Models and if fat I still have some of them now. Looking forward to seeing these painted.
ReplyDeleteWe did Zulu war too had a good figure cross over, my Dad just got rid of the last lot of the Zulu war figures
DeleteDang. Now I'm tempted to get some for my Sudan project. Curse you sir! ;-)
ReplyDeletegood start!
ReplyDeletewaiting for more.
bye
My first colonial figures -- other than converted HO plastic Airfix -- were also Mike's Models for the Second Afghan War/NWF, but it was before they came out with the "North-West Frontier" range, so I used their Zulu War and later -- but still before the NWF figures were released -- their Sudan range, for the Brits, and their Renaissance Ottoman Turks for the tribesmen. They were fun to paint, and fun to play with, and I did a lot more playing with them back in those days (early to mid-Eighties mostly) than I do these days with my beautiful 28mm armies.
ReplyDeleteYour lance pennants look GREAT, and I am excited to see your Bengal Lancers AND your Gurkhas too, when you've painted them!