Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Paint Therapy needed

Yesterday was one of those days you wish you go back in time to avoid. I am still suffering the tail end of a sickness bug that leaves you drained physically and mentally, then this weekend my WW came down with it too so she was not in work on Monday. I had a pile of painting to complete and the Zulu war commission to varnish and post off. My FB friends will know whats coming (BTW if you are on FB feel free to send me a request) I varnished the figures first thing and went to get them after lunch only to find the varnish had gone cloudy. The rest of Monday was spent trying every trick I know to fix the error but with no success by evening I admitted defeat and contacted my customer, we have come to an agreement that I will not go into but I hope will be agreeable with both parties.
So today I could not face a commission so picked out one of my Copplestone Miniatures I am doing for Ebay and I spent a great few hours this evening painting this guy who is a NOT Brendon Frasier from the Mummy films. This guy and the Swede will be hitting Ebay tonight.





13 comments:

  1. I've rread about it too And now, you're not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the two figures are lovely. There is that!

    I feel your pain, James. The only 15mm army I painted in triads went frosty. I've been reluctant to use GW purity seal every since but it can happen with other sprays I've heard. I now hold my breath every time I spray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really sucks and having just had the same thing happen myself with F***ing Varnish I feel your pain. Chin up dude! I'm using Zombtober to repaint some of the misted miniatures as I ended up stripping them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the varnish horror several times and in many forms, I feel your pain brother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a damn shame - those were lovely figures. I'm glad to see you've come to an arrangement with the client.

    Do you know how many James Brewertons there are on FB? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is only one true JB :) I see you found me anyway

      Delete
  6. Don't want to tempt providence, but I've only had the problem a couple of times: one spray varnish and once brush on. I understand humidity is the cause.

    It's an absolute pig though as you only find out when it's too late to do anything about it. I got round it by giving the figures another coat of the same varnish and not letting them out of the house until well after the recommended drying period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my days of spraying commissions are over I will take the extra time to brush on so I am sure. My figures I am not as fussed

      Delete
  7. I know it was very wet in Zulu land but snow might be pushing it a little far

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting on both the figures.
    Sorry to hear about the varnish incident. Happened quite a few times to me too, although I used an airbrush.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about "Varnish-Gate" - It's happened to me several times and I've taken the route your planning - no more spray varnish. I find it doesn't take much longer and it's probably better on the old lungs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely brushwork James.
    It is Brendan Fraser really though innit, haha.
    Never use the GW purity seal, its shi#.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a bugger mate! I've never experienced the cloudy varnish issue. Possibly because it is much drier / warmer down under? Having said so I live in fear and every time I pick up a spray can the monster is there, lurking just out if sight...

    ReplyDelete