Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Zulu War figures the Paints

I have been asked by my customer to let him know the paints used on his commission, I thought it would be fun to share it with you guys also. When I get round to painting my own Empress Miniatures Zulu War Brits I will do a true SBS with pictures but with commissions time is money so just the paints and a finished figure.
First up Flesh, the most involved process, Base flesh then flesh washed with flesh wash then flesh applied again final highlights with elf flesh.

Next up the uniform, Scab red base coat with red mid tone and then highlighted with one of those luckey errors you make, I needed terracotta colour for the Masai warriors and could not find my GW stuff I popped on to wayland games to order some Vallejo paint to use. I had to go by the colour tab on the website and picked the one that looked closed enough to terracotta when it came it was no where near the color I needed but I found it the best for highlighting red.
The trousers are Prussian blue then highlighted with Prussian blue mixed with a little blue.
Helmet is Khaki then washed with dark tone then over painted with the Khaki again.
The Webbing is a light Khaki base and an off white main color.
The last few paints are for the gun and to highlight the black areas.

8 comments: