Saturday, 24 August 2013

New Bloggers make it easy for us old'ns

So I like may of you bloggers follow a fair few blogs and when you start out if the blog has no follower gadget or is from a different platform, you could simple follow it by adding the URL to your blogroll shown below.


As a total blog whore I now get this message when I try to add more to my blogroll


This cause's me great pain :) so on a effort to easy my pain I would love it if anyone new to blogging would add the followers gadget to their blog, you can hide it down at the bottom if you want but without this gadget I can not add you blog to my roll. With it I can carry on adding to my hearts content (401 and counting). It is a little more involved than it used to be but to help out here is a how to for you.
On your Layout page click on new gadget you will get the window below you then need to click on the more gadgets tab (I have highlighted it in a very understated way for you).


 
 
On the next window scroll down to the bottom of the page and you find the followers gadget.

 
 
All you have to do now is save the gadget in the next window and choose where on you blog to put it when that is complete you should have something that looks like the last picture.

If you have followed these steps then you can sit back and wait for all us blog whores to find your little part of the blogosphere, if you want to encourage followers go out and comment on blogs you like follow them and always list you blog under your comment.
Peace James
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Well said and explained James.........

    http://theangrylurker.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A useful tutorial for new bloggers (and some longer standing ones as well!)

    http://wargaminggirl.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem: blogger thinks I follow too many to add a new one, but with the follower widget I can add as many more as I want!

    Blogger also seems to be stubborn with loading my blog roll on my dashboard (easiest place for me to see what is new), needing a few times to reload it so they stop showing me some fashion chick and her success with adsense >:( but eventually it gets loaded.

    I've also noticed that when I follow a new blog, when I go to add it to my blog roll, selecting through 'blogs I follow' sometimes the newer ones I've joined don't show up on this list to add. I've seen no pattern to know why they don't show up to add and then later do.. sometimes refreshing the page helps, sometimes not. Sometimes I have to sign out & back in, but other times it doesn't show until that new one is no longer the newest or a day has passed. It's temperamental, but eventually it shows, so I'd suggest to people who are adding blogs to their blog roll to remember to go back and check it again the next day, to see if one that should have been there wasn't and now is.

    http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well put James!


    http://rebelbarracks.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, learnt something new, I didn't know how to add a blog that didn't have the follow feature, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that James. I've been dealing with the same issue for some time. Like Ferret I've found it is also causing some issues with the dashboard loading latest posts.

    http://canisterandgrape.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff James - I feel I need a whole tutorial in getting the best use out of Blogger!

    http://sidneyroundwood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete