Wednesday, 28 August 2013

BattleTech set (very poor)

I bought this Box set well over a year ago as I loved playing it as a kid. As I want to run the game at blog-con I broke out the figures and must say if this is the production values they put into the game now no wonder it seems very poorly supported now, I know they used to have big European competitions in the 90's while now I only see one of the blogs I follow playing it now and then.
The figures are a very poor plastic molded piece of rubbish, the detail is almost not there and where the figure has been produced in more than one part no care has been taken sticking the bits together and they seem to have used a paste brush to put on the glue.



If you think of them as just game pieces like chess pieces or drafts then they are ok but as wargames miniatures they are shockingly poor. Fortunately the game is still as great as I remember and I have dug out and finished some very fine metal Mechs I had in the loft. I will paint up the plastic ones as they will be find for one off games (which lets face it is all I will be doing with this game)
I am very busy painting at the moment and will have plenty to show you soon, I am also heading up to my Dads this weekend and meeting up Loki and Kev so we can play test the Bloggers for Charity game and nail down once and for all the rules we will use and the figures we need.
Peace James



13 comments:

  1. That is a bit of a blow, but I dare say you'll have it in hand soon; the painted mechs look very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Andrew said your talent will help....a lot but still disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new version of this boxset will be comin out soon, and CGL has a new manufacturer for the minis included. If the pictures they've put up are any indication, they're much, much better than the ones in this version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. look forward to seeing those, but I picked up this game because I loved it as a youth so will stick with this ed that I played and leave the new ed to regular gamers

      Delete
  4. I got 2 sets of the 25th battletech box and after fixing the awful miniatures finally primed some. Thats about as far as i got. Its never been used and now takes up too much space as cant shift it for a reasonable return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think without blog-con to aim for I would put these back in the box and forget them again

      Delete
  5. Enjoy the weekend game. I am over at Nottingham tomorrow so hope to pop round to Foundry again

    ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news hope you get chance to pop in it is Bring out your lead this weekend so would be good to see the place being used for a con

      Delete
  6. they will do for a game every now and then

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never played the set, but I agree the figures look very primitive. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  8. New set will be better. I'll be buying it as well.

    Your painting has already improved them. I'm using mine for Aloha Strike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't expect much from hard plastic figs....so I wasn't unduly disappointed. I did find them to be a total pig to remove the flash though....truly it is hard plastic.

    A little filling with green stuff, and drilling out of obscured/filled weapons holes was a drag as well. After priming and painting they end up looking fairly decent though.

    Here is a link of painting in progress on a few of them....
    http://miniatureinsurrection.blogspot.ca/search/label/Battletech

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never bought the boxed set back in the day, but I do recall comments that the models coming with it were poor. My group just bought the rules and went straight to tabletop gaming with the 'Ral Partha' metal mechs as were... which were much better quality.

    ReplyDelete