I am very lucky that I own a war diary from the Zulu war era. Gunner John Carroll RMA was aboard HMS Active see below.
During his whole deployment aboard he kept a diary. John is related to me my paternal Grandfathers maternal Granfather was Johns much younger brother. I thought it would be fun if over this year I share this diary with you. I will create a label for these post's so you will be able to follow them anytime you wish.
July
August
September
This gives you a good feel of what type of guy John was, if you enjoyed this post let me know via comments and I will continue to post his words.
Peace James
During his whole deployment aboard he kept a diary. John is related to me my paternal Grandfathers maternal Granfather was Johns much younger brother. I thought it would be fun if over this year I share this diary with you. I will create a label for these post's so you will be able to follow them anytime you wish.
Log of H.M.S.
Active
H.M.S. Active
‘Iron case with wood screw corvette’ 10 guns, Commanded by Capt. Boxer was
commission at Portsmouth on the 14th of April 1877 she embarked 2
Sergt. , 1 Corp. and 36 Privates R.M.L.I and 1 Bomber and 8 Gunners R.M.A.
April 10th-
went into dry dock.
May 23rd-
Prince of Wales inspected H.M.S. Shah Thunderer and Vernon.
June 30th-
Inspected by Admiral Sir G Elliott
July 2nd-
Up steam and went out to Spithead for trial of engines. Attained speed of 14
knots anchored again at 4.30. P.m.
July 6th-
Went around Isle of Wight for further trial of engines anchored at 6.30.pm,
weighed anchor again at 10.30 p.m. for Plymouth 120 miles arriving Plymouth at
4.0.pm on the 7th and took in machinery for Jourmaline.
July
8th-
Left Plymouth sound for Madeira at 4.0.pm Sun. Passed Eddystone Lighthouse at
6.0.pm made plain sail on port tack.
9th-
General Quarters fire quarters a shoal of porpoises in sight.
11th
passed cape Finisterre Spain was made ships Corporal & captain of first
gun- scrub hammocks wash clothes in middle watch dark as pitch water scarce
served out in limited quantities magazine drill sighted Greek man of war.
15th
Sun- Sighted St Michael’s Island and Madeira. Porte Santo and Lighthouse point.
The scenery along coast of Madeira is very beautiful, rugged rocks Islands and
mountains the tops of which seem lost in mist. Dropped anchor in the bay about
noon. We soon had the Portuguese fruit boats in swarms around the ship also the
doctor Government officers and Coal contractors. Fired off 21 guns to Portuguese
Flag. Went ashore in the evening fruit- bananas, oranges, pineapples, peaches
etc. are very cheap, wine 10/ per bottle, piped hands to bathe in evening, had
fresh bread and meat from shore, took in coal.
18th
Set sail for St Vincent passed canary islands saw many dolphins (flying fish)
weather hot awnings spread, on the 20th had night quarters, on the 22nd
passed the tropic of cancer clothing white drill, hot with light breeze.
25th-
Saw many grampus (black fish) from 12 to 15 ft long, dropped anchor at cape St
Vincent, found Jourmaline awaiting whom we are to relieve. Commodore Sullivan
and officers now taking charge of our ship, while our Capt. and mostly all the
officers goes home again on Jourmaline, the band and about 40 crewmen also came
over to us We hoisted the Commodore flag and the band played during the evening
which was rather a novelty to us. From the 25th to the 31st
was occupied in changing officer’s baggage etc. and taking over Jourmalines
stores. Left St Vincent on 31st.
August
Anchored at Cape
Coast Castle on the 7th on the 8th coaled ship by canoes
manned by Negroes from a barge lying here. Set sail for Accra when finished
arrived at Accra on the 9th at 6.0.a.m. after making communications
with shore sailed for Lagos, We had meanwhile received information that King
Dahomy was becoming troublesome again and we are now on our way to the river
Niger after calling at Largos. We are making all preparations for landing,
passing the doctor, making blankets quilts etc. On the 10th a crewman
named Seabreese died and his body was committed to the deep. Arrived at Largos,
on the 11th sailed again after taking in some bullocks from shore,
on the 12th anchored at the Niger, where lays the gunboats Pioneer,
Boxer and Danae. On the 13th still making preparations for landing,
Aug 14th served out rum and Quinine for landing party, in the
afternoon the consul came aboard bringing some news that altered the plans of
the Commodore for after he went away we got ready for sea. In the evening the
gunboats Avon boxer & pioneer went up the river with a small armed party
from the ‘Danae’. Fired salute of 7 guns on consul leaving the ship. Men much
disappointed at not going ashore after making so much preparation, on the 15th
made sail for Fernando Po. 16th arrived at Fernando Po, fired salute
of 21 guns for Spanish flag. 17th Spanish governor came aboard a
guard called up to receive him, the band playing the Spanish anthem. Coaling
all day. Served out quinine and rum, on the governors leaving ship salute of 15
guns fired.
18th-
The Gunboat Swallow was laying here H.M.S. Industry and 2 mail boats arriving
during day. Set sail for Simons bay Cape of Good Hope.
20th
Crossed line
24th-Quarters
fired 4 rounds each gun at target at sea.
28th-
Boy received dozen lashes and a crewman 3 dozen for misconduct.
September
1st-
Shifting winds, our time is busily employed during day at various drills sail
drill, shifting courses quarters etc. at 4.30. On the 5th the man at
the mast head sung out land on the port bow, and we gradually rounded point
bluff came in sight of table bay, dropping anchor in Simons Bay at 8.30.p.m.
Shortly after mail came aboard all of waiting anxiously by while the letters
were sorted, after dropping anchor the commodore went ashore to Admiralty house
his wife and children being living there.
Next morning out boats up anchor and went and
picked up mooring on the bay, the 7th and 8th coaling.
Sun 9th cleaning ship, no church. On the 10th mustered by
open list. Paid 2 months money, 5 days leave to start watch.14th
went ashore on leave had a walk through a place called the brook so called from
a brook flowing from fissures in the mountainous rocks down to the sea, it is
peopled by Africans houses built of stone and whitewashed looking very neat and
clean out side but very squalid and dusty inside, their bedsteads are of stone,
in one corner of the room is built a fire a large open affair without grates,
wood fires are used, as we passed the houses some of the women invited us in
but we declined with thanks, but as I looked through the open doors. I saw
bluejackets inside some of them in bed from which I could discern the black
curly head of a woman by their side. I walked a little further into the bush,
and noticing a prickly pear bush I leaned over it to gather one of its fruit
but losing my balance fell into it amidst the laugh of my companions, but I
managed to scramble out without help but when I attempted to walk I found it
very inconvenient, owing to the thorns penetrating through my clothes and flesh.
Came aboard at night and kept morning watch.
13th-
Went ashore again and took a ramble up the mountains which are very steep and
hard to climb, cut a stick and placed a pocket handkerchief to it and fixed on
the highest point of the mountain. Saw several monkeys of very large size also
a few whip or grass snakes, on descending to the beach I found I could not get
a boat to ship, so stopped at Willetts hotel for the night.
17th
Port watch going on 5 days leave to which I belong so I went ashore, on landing
I and Sergt Lewis took a car for Cape town 32 miles distant and started at a
brisk pace along the beach from Simons town, our way for a couple of miles lay
along a sandy beach, with the waves dashing against the horse feet after
leaving this at a turn of the beach, we came into a rough road with huge rocks
on either side, which had rolled down from the mountain the beach itself at
this place was full of huge round stones against which the surf dashed with
great force, indeed nearly all the coast of Africa is the same, making it
impossible to land and when very windy throwing the surf and white sand to
great distance, even to the mountain, covering them partly with this white sand
which at sea resembles snow covered hills. After a few miles hard driving we again
got into an extent of sandy beach, and then branched off into a road that led
between green fields. We made a halt at a hotel called “ the Gentle Shepherd of
Salisbury plain” here we got a bottle of English for 1/6, and commenced our
journey again, we were in excellent spirits and singing as we dashed along.
Soon after we were overtaken by a car with 4 horses filled with bluejackets,
shipmates of ours who were singing and shouting and mad with delight at being
once more ashore, as they neared us they persuaded the driver to try and pass
us, and they did so, but our driver seeing he was being outdone whipped up the
horses and we dashed along in beautiful style, neck and neck for about a mile
when we commenced gaining on them, but the driver of the other car seeing we
were about to pass him threw his leaders across the road, and did so every time
we tried to pass him, one time he did it so suddenly that our driver had nit
time to check our horse before running against his wheels, scraping our horses
sides, which at next halting place nearly caused the two drivers to fight. Our
road as far as Wynberg lay along a fine avenue of trees nearly two miles long
the trees were chiefly fur which lined and met on either side of the road at
Wynberg we stopped at Mr Edward’s, Railway Hotel, the owner of the car we came
up in Mr Edward’s we found was a warm hearted genial Englishman here we
remained for the night. During the night I was insulted by a man to whom I gave
a good thrashing, but I was brought before the Magistrate next day, but owing
to some of our men who witnessed the fracas having gone on to cape town, I was
remanded on bail. Mr Edward’s my landlord bailing me out for £20. I had to
appear again two days after when not withstanding several witnesses in my favour
I was fined £5.0. Which I paid, the courthouse was only a small room capable of
holding about 20 people, a desk a form and a chair, with a few books was the
only furniture it contained. I took the train next morning to visit Cape town,
at the back of which is table mountain and in front Table bay, shipping and
docks- visited the botanical gardens on which grows many fine specimens of
tropical plants also visited museum, and went to theatre during the evening,
Stopped for the night at the London Hotel returning to Wynberg next morning
which place I explored and found it the prettiest place I have seen in all
Africa, after dining at the hotel, I took the car for Simons Bay, but did not
go aboard until next morning. My 5 days leave was rather expensive as it cost
me £13.00
This gives you a good feel of what type of guy John was, if you enjoyed this post let me know via comments and I will continue to post his words.
Peace James
Very interesting reading.
ReplyDeleteParticularly love the line "to whom I gave a good thrashing".
you did really very interesting topic ......I like your blog .....Thanks for sharing ...
ReplyDeleteKeep Up
Regard:
Exterior Painting