Wednesday, 28 July 2010

Greek Hoplites WIP 1

I am having to do these guys different from my usual wargames minis because I usually make the most of the faces as a focal piont of the figure, with these you see very little of the face. I plan to make the shield the new focal point, by using the decals provided and some well placed battle damage the shield should draw your eye very well.
I started with a base coat of tanned flesh followed by a wash of devlan mud. Dwarf flesh was used then with elf flesh as the highlight, not too sure how well I have done till I fill in more of the colour. I have 150 of these to paint so will do each batch with the same colours and then mix them up when I base them.
If anyone sees and glaring mistakes just let me know somtimes you are too close to the figure to spot all the mistakes.
Peace James

4 comments:

  1. Hey,

    who is the manufacturer of the figs?.... And should I be washing my figures as you did? Thanks

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. the figures are Immortal miniatures hard plastic, I was trying the wash for the first time. I found it gave a bit more contrast on the base colour (tanned flesh) will stick with it for these Greeks but prob leave it off on future models. I have left the black undercoat showing in the deepest shadows before and used dark flesh as the first layer. This gave the figures a good table top contrast but was a bit harsh close up since I have been photographing figures I am trying to give them a better close up contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OKay, great info..... So after my first base color do you think a black ink would work well, and then highlight?

    Also is there anything I can improve on that's noticable?

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. do not use black ink far too dark go for a brown or orange brown, best to just try things you can always strip the paint off and start again if you do not like the finish.
    I think you need to try using a little thinner paints, just remember if the figure is too bright a wash will dull it down.

    ReplyDelete