Saturday, 7 September 2013

The futures so Bright

So as anyone who follows my blog will note I am a prolific painter, but an infrequent gamer. I see this changing in the next 12-18 months and it is mainly down to a few silly ideas of mine and the power of the blogoshpere. I have always painted wargames figures and as I often say I love to do so, I have not enjoyed playing so much since the heady days of my youth (a combination of lack of opponents and real life getting in the way). I now find myself with a group of gamers who I not only enjoy good gaming with but are fast becoming good friends, this is only going to increase with Blog-Con and next year the BfC game all in all not too shabby for a shy guy from the train spotting capital of UK.
I guess what this post is getting at is that if you are happy to make the effort (travelling and organisation) then the UK (and I am sure Europe and the USA) has some great wargamers who will open their homes and wargame rooms to you all you need to do is ask. I will shortly have my own wargames table (TBH I have a battlemat and terrain already) so will be able to host my own games, if you add to this the family Wargames room by the sea I am a very happy gamer.

 I have created a Google+ Community for all us Wargaming Bloggers, I want it to be a place to share ideas find who is going to the local shows so you can meet up. My long term goal would be for Blog-Con to be a success and form the annual get together for the Wargames Bloggers Community and if it is also a success the BfC game could also be our annual bit for charity. As a quick aside when talking about BfC with Andy from AW Miniatures I was so happy to see how excited he was for the project and it was he that started asking what we planned for the next one, so lets face it if the guys who is putting his hand in his pocket to provide us with the figures is that stoked about it, then we have a good idea on our hands.


 
 
So with all this gaming in my future I only have a few problems... you are all showing me so many nice new periods and rules sets I am having a bad case of the shinybloodyitis  should it be Naps, ACW.. hail Cesar looks good then so does bolt action or the new fatLardies game....dont get me started on Cowboys or darkest Africa....Victorian Steam punk.....even some of the Zombie stuff looks good (dam you Micheal). No luckily I have the next years painting sorted with a vast Zulu War BP project with my Dad and still more SYW to paint then I have my SAGA forces and I did spy a few boxs of French Nap..... I am Doomed .....but I love it.
On the painting front I have been surprised to see that since I started selling on Ebay again I have had several commission enquiries which all help to make my hobby pay more than for its self. All I need to do now is sort of my Day Job and life will be as they say peachy.
Peace James
I leave you with some very happy bloggers full of Sunday Roast and tea.
 

 

11 comments:

  1. Sounds great James. Thanks for the invite by the way. I also got a mail saying something was cancelled, but I think that may be an error. Happy gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news followed by more good news! I'm looking forward to learning from your Google group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the ECW ;-)

    The whole Blog-Community idea is gathering pace, we are living in an enlightened period I tell you

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all sounds really positive - I'm pleased for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try the NYW of WSS as Loki said, two excellent periods!!!
    The UK is such a small country we moan about driving 2-3 hours for a convention, when you look at some of the guys in the States who have to drive 200 miles + to get to their local club, I think we've got it pretty cushy really. Thank god for blogs I say!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You fellows are SO LUCKY! Weekly meetups at a pub to push lead and tip a pint...it doesn't get any better than that!

      Delete
  6. The community of bloggers keeps surprising me as the years go on......amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being old fashioned and single minded (for about thirty minutes a day), I can't put up with a period I don't have an interest in the history of. On the down side you'll possible end up with thousands of £*<&!>$ books and no painted figures :O(

    The future does look bright, but that G+ Community looks pretty shady . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very happy for you, James. You are a great guy and a big plus for the hobby. I would love to be able to join you all in that wonderful looking gaming room by the sea. Enjoy! Dean

    ReplyDelete