Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Wild Bunch Day 3

So I am starting to really get into my stride, today I have been working more on the Sikh Infantry and the Zulu War Command stand. But I have been itching to get painting some of my Sudan stuff so have pulled out my Camel Corps these are by far my favourite casts from the Perry Sudan range (so far). I have not actually put a brush on them yet but they have made it from the box's to the desk.
As you can see to the left of my desk I have two warrior monks on the go again great Perry Miniature casts. I have been thinking about what to do for my base's I have loads of Sudan and NWF which I want to base the same so I can swap in units when needed. That will be a huge area of base to paint and if I use my usual colour I will soon run out of my brown Vallejo paint. I have come up with the plan of nipping to my local hobby craft and picking up some cheapish craft paint of the right tone of brown. This will last me so much longer and save me money in the long run. I have plenty of tuff's of various brown's and gold's which will finish off the base's just fine. The Zulu war stuff will use the same paint but as I have not used the brown primer on them I and sure the end colour will be a bit darker.
I have been keeping track of all the wild bunch's progress and have found the FB group a great tool while painting I can chat to fellow painters which is so much fun and gives a real group feel to this years challenge. I have been highly impressed with the efforts put in by all so far this year and Curt keeping track of all the fun side challenges has been a fantastic addition to this years challenge.
This is a view of my side storage to the left of my painting desk (which I worked out I have now owned for 24 years being as my Mum and Dad got it for me to do my A level studies on, my painting desk not the computer desk shown) as you can see I have my laptop which also provides my music, usually BBC radio 2 or a CD. All the figures you can see are my non-colonial figures for this year mostly Dark-age and Samurai with the last few French and Indian War figures.
Anyway I hope all my fellow challengers are getting into their stride and having as much fun as I am.
Peace James


14 comments:

  1. You're plugging along at a good pace James. I'm on track for where I need to be this week.

    I like your banner btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Anne glad you are keeping up with your plan
      Peace James

      Delete
  2. Looking good! Glad you're happy with progress so far.

    The Sudan and NWF are two of my favorite periods - I've got some Perrys of my own in the queue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see some solid progress being made there mate! I'm ploughing along too.

    Why don't you try sample pots of paint from your local hardware for basing? I pay $10 for a pot that lasts a couple of years at times, plus has the added bonus of they mix to the colour I want AND the pigment is much denser than typical craft paints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be daunted by seeing so many prepared figures waiting to go. I would have to box them up out of sight so as not to get distracted. Everything seems to be chugging along very well. And it's good to check your progress on a daily basis. Hats off to you sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I ran out of box's. All the NWF and Sudan stuff is boxed but I have prepped figures on every flat surface. I had to prep alot half way through last years challenge and felt cheated :)
      Peace James

      Delete
  5. It's good fun.
    You got a good bunch of stuff prepped by the looks.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good progress already. I am hopeful to have my first entries ready for the weekend as planned. WIP pictures to follow shortly.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  7. way to go my son!!! Literally!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That lot should keep you busy for a while. So far they are looking good

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you're making good progress. Looking forward to see all the stuff finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Powering away there, James, well done!

    I especially look forward to seeing the Camel Corps in all their completed glory.

    ReplyDelete