Thursday, 30 December 2010

Lifecolors Flesh set SBS

I picked up the lifecolor flesh set shown below at my LHS, I always feel better with ready mixed colors that my own mix as I seem to never get the same mix twice. Anyway I wanted to give the flesh set an outing and decided to take photos of each step so I could show you good people a little SBS.

The set retails for about £16 and you can pick it up at most on line hobby stores, when open you can see the 6 different pots you have 2 base, 2 shadow and 2 highlight.

The paint itself is already thin and can be put through an airbrush if thinned just a little more, I used water to thin the paint for my work and worked at almost a 1:1 ratio. you get a good amount of paint in each pot and if looked after this set should last you a long time.

Ok the bust I am using you have seen before it is the great Greek bust I showed earlier in the blog. I tried an experiment with putting oil over the acrylic and it did not go too well. the bust was stripped down and undercoated again in grey. I started from the 2nd base color as i find applying highlight easier that shade. below are the 6 steps of the flesh painting.

1. Base no.2 applied in several thin layers at ratio of 1:1 water / paint

2. Shadow no.1 again in very thin layers just where I felt the shadows should be

3. Shadow no.2 if you feel the edge of this color is too sharp then you can go over it with thin shadow no.1 and this softens the edges.
4. Base no.1 big change now as large areas are covered with this shade.

5. highlight no.1 same as with the shade if you find the edges too sharp going over with the thin base no.1 will soften then.

6. highlight no.2 at this point you can see I have added the eye and he is starting to come together well.

7. flesh set complete, I have filled in the hair and beard this lets me know what colors I still need to add to the flesh. these colors will be added in glazes and I will post the finished works later.


Over all the set is very good the paint goes on very easy and give great value for money I would recommend it to anyone.
Peace James

6 comments:

  1. The bust looks really nice. Great work there in my opinion.

    I don't do busts myself, but yours may inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good-looking results. I assume the idea is that you use darker colours as the base for darker skin, etc. and adjust use of the others accordingly? The shadow colours look like they'd make decent dark skin tones in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Just bought a set for painting O gauge railway figures 1;43, if I could just get a little near your results I would be really pleased. I assume the different layers are dry brushed into each other, or are they blended in when nearly dry.You may have used an airbrush but the result is fantastic. Thank you for sharing your method with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian the layers are painted blended when the layer below is dry

      Delete
    2. Thank you James, although larger than 1.43 the images shown clearly indicate the different stages. Very helpful, cannot wait to get the set and have a go.

      Delete
  4. Nice Job!
    One question: You mixed the light and shadow with the base?
    Type 50% 50% light and the base?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete