Wednesday, 17 July 2013

A Blog by any other name


SO we all know that there are thousands of hobby blogs out there but what type of blog is yours? I would guess that 90% of blogs start as just a way for you to record what you are doing and planning to do. It is interesting (and I try to do this with every new blog I find) to go back to the blogs first post and see what the blogger has set out as his goal. The other 10% would be blogs that have been started to go with a business.
It is interesting to see how the blogs develop I think you can broadly group them as follows.
1: Personal Diary, This is just a blog that stores images and words about the blogger’s hobby not written with anyone in mind.

2: The Teacher, This blogger loves sharing their skills and knowledge they usually want interaction

3: The Butterfly, This blogger is inflicted with the hobby attention span of ... oh look a bird.... their blog will be full of new rules new eras and lots of new lead.

4: The Networker, This blogger is looking to create his own little community, blogs give a better chance to ignore (and delete) comments and users that offend.

5: The Joker, This bloggers loves to share the fun be it the latest funny poster of the latest dice humiliation of their gaming buddy.

6: The Thinker, This blogger shares his ideas large and small.

7: The Newshound, This blogger sniffs out all the latest hobby news and puts it all together for you in one place.

8: The Gossip, This blogger does much the same as the news hound but gets his info in the dark areas of the internet.

9: The Eye Candy, This blogger is a world class painter/ builder/ modeller and use’s his blog to store images.
 I know many of you will see where I am going already, I think if you look at the most popular and followed blogs you will see they are so interesting because they shift from one type to the other. I follow over 330 blogs now and while some bloggers are prolific with their posts others only post once a month at most. Some bloggers you will skim the post while others you digest each word, I love the way the blogosphere has gone in the last few years we have effectively formed virtual wargames clubs as with any club you have your big names and the backroom staff you even have your rule keepers and you free spirits. I know we have a core of about 200 common bloggers and I will leave each of you to work out what each blog/blogger means to you but for me we have “hub” blogs that for the focal point of our “club” in UK we have the “unholy trinity” Ray, Fran and Big Lee in the USA for me it is Miles and Dean while Curt is the conductor for Canada.

I hope you have enjoyed my take on our blogging community and if you take one thing from this post let it be that the next blog you start following check out the first post because it’s far easier to guide a person along their path it you know where they started and in which direction they wish to travel. And remember that in our hobby when it come to painting and modelling there really is not a wrong way to do something just a different way.
 

41 comments:

  1. That's a pretty good summary there James. I think that my blog is mainly 1,2,4 and 5 with elements of 3 and 9.

    In terms of UK "hubs" the Bromantics and Lee are definitely one of them, with you, Andy and Kev more recently forming another. I have a feeling that I'm a hub or node as well, given the eclectic range of blogs I follow and am followed by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not thought of that I guess your right we would be the Northern Hub then.
      I think you would be a hub of your own as you rightly point out you have a very broad audience

      Delete
  2. hmm I find my blog helps me to paint and do stuff rather than let it stagnate not sure which one of these it would fit into. Hmmm perhaps the combination of a couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is true of most of us Simon it is what keeps the blogosphere fresh

      Delete
  3. Another great post James. In fact I find myself wanting to go back and look at my own first post. At this point I've sort of forgotten exactly what my intention was. I definitely appreciate the sense of community that has formed and I try to share things I come across with every one who follows. Some ideas/ finds are better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post. Gives you something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely a butterfly. I can't stick to a project for very long before some other idea takes over for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Butterfly and proud of it! I have wargames ADHD, there is no cure so I embrace the demon.

    Talking of demons I do like and approve of the term "Unholy Trinity" very fitting. Although really nice chaps one and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clint - good on you. I'm a huge believer in not apologizing or beating yourself up for how you like to enjoy the hobby.

      Delete
  7. An interesting post James - I now need to go back and see what I can deduce about the blogs I subscribe to and my own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOw you have really got me thinking, which at this time in the morning can be dangerous.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I've now had time to think and my blog is combination of points 1 and 3. The blog makes me paint and record what I am painting and I paint various things from various periods to keep it all interesting. Not rocket science but it works for me.

      Cheers, Ross

      Delete
  9. My blog is definitely a personal diary. I wanted t record what I was doing, but if other people enjoy it, all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mine started out and largely remains a Personal Diary (1) but has evolved to also include elements of 3 (The Butterfly), 8 (The Networker)and 9 (Eye Candy). Basically I write about whatever inspires ME and just hope that my readers enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another fascinating post and I can certainly relate to many of your descriptors. Like a good many my blog is about me, what I'm doing and what I hope to do although often inspired by those that I in turn follow. I have loved the way this has developed into a sense of community and cherish the friendships that have developed from it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's see, I could be 1 and 6. I do the Butterfly thing at the beginning of every month then I just buy less. Interesting post as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unholy what????.......Bromantic??????

    I think you should add a number 10. Blog Whore, this would include BigLee and Ray!

    I like the 9 descriptions but lately your great ideas and plans have started to gel the community together more and highlight the great stuff in the community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, YOU are the biggest Blog Tart!!!!

      Delete
    2. Ray's right, you are a bit of a digital floozy! Nobody gets that many followers without bending over occasionally!

      Delete
    3. now now kids lets not fight over who is the biggest blog whore and just agree your all as bad as each other :)

      Delete
  14. For me: 1 and 2. Sometimes I think I'm number 9, but then I get back to earth! :-D

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  15. Same as Clint, I am a pure unadulterated Butterfly. With maybe a smidgen of Number 1 as well.

    I would love to be a Number 4 but I dont think I pimp my blog enough. I have met Ray, Fran and Big Lee at Salute Blog meet up, now I just need to try and get myself on their blog rolls ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are as of an hour ago, my apologies for forgetting to do so earlier!

      Delete
    2. Cheers Francis, appreciate that.

      Delete
    3. You've been on mine for a while now Carl. Fran's a liar, see the devil comment below!

      Delete
  16. Fran the only Unholy one, he's the devil incarnate!!!!!

    I'd like to think I've a little bit of all the 1-9 on my blog, it started out just to show off pics of my figures and to post the odd batrep, just for myself really, then me and Fran got into a little competition with each other and it just exploded to where we both are today!
    Great post GI

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really good subject. I think I am primarily a 1 and a 9 in intent if not execution. I consider myself an average to slightly above average painter/modeler(on my realy good days) but I love to share my projects... and always hope to get tips so I can do it better the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. great comments all I do so love being able to get you thinking and any chance to see the Bromantics handbagging each other is class

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm just the jerk that just won't shut up ;-)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post, not too sure were I fall in these categories (you didn't have a well meaning mad man,with delusions of grandeur all be it in miniature!)If I had to give myself a title it would be somewhere in between the butterfly effect and the dottering old teacher, Food for thought at any rate, again great post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What about another category of Blogger... The Musket
    "Must get round to writing something ... sometime...maybe...if I remember the Blog password!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just discovered your blog...and a great article.

    I think I am a diarist, a wannabe teacher, and may I be so bold as to add another category an egotist

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmmmm . . . . not sure how I missed this, but it probably says more about my blogging than I'd like to admit - absent minded; you haven't got a category for that :O(

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent post and very timely for me. I loved following all of the hobby blogs and eventually, started one that was club-centric. Pretty quickly, I realized that wasn't satisfying so it changed right out of the gate.

    I've evolved over time and even now, I'm rethinking it. The quality of blogs just keeps going up and I'm concerned I'm treading water or going backwards of late. In the end, it is all good fun and company!

    ReplyDelete
  25. great post, generating real good comments!! ;)

    ReplyDelete